Monday, December 08, 2008

Remembering Smile

Last Friday night,
alone in my car on an empty highway,
listening to "Dekhi Zamane ki yaari, bichhade sabhi baari baari ", immortalized by Kaifi Azmi, S.D. Burman, Md. Rafi and Guru Dutt in "Kaagaz Ke Phool".
Although the song has a different context, the words "bichhade sabhi baari baari" kept on lingering in my head and tear drop rolled down, acknowledging the sadness filled in my heart.
I was on my way to pay respects to my dad's very close friend, who expired that evening.
It has been three years since dad expired and just a couple of month's ago uncle was mentioning how badly he misses my dad when he is in Hyderabad.
Filled with these thoughts, and the line lingering in my head, i couldn't agree more on how everyone who have been there when we were growing up are leaving us one by one.

When i was a kid, one summer afternoon, me and my brother were woken up from sleep and were asked to freshen up as Uncle has come to take some photographs. Mom got us ready, he took some snaps of both of us and mom, spent some with us and left. At that time i didn't even know who he was and that is the first memory i have of him.

After some years, when i was old enough, i was going through my childhood photographs and noticed that every photo had five letters printed on the bottom right corner, "S-m-i-l-e". When i asked dad about it, he mentioned that it is the pen name of his friend who took those photographs. i didn't even know what a pen name was, my dad explained that he is a poet and writer and uses that name. That was the first time i came to know about him.

Dad's friends circle always had writers, poets and they used to talk for hours together when they met and those conversations fascinated me. Those associations and dad's rare collection of books inspired me. I am not a writer or a poet but i took an interest in reading books. Amongst those is the book titled "Empty Bottles"(title translated into English), which is a collection of Uncle's poems and stories. That is how i met the poet in him.

I started this blog four years back with what i thought was a poem and today i dedicate it in the memory of Uncle.

An era of poetry has come to an end
leaving an aura of passion behind
the emptiness that is left
feels almost impossible to forget
i realize as the sun sets into a stream
today is melting into yesterday's dream
now as i stand in the night so lonely and dark
i could hear the song of a distant lark
promising a new tomorrow, shining and bright
so i move on with a spark of hope in sight
that even though death did us part
you are alive.. in the memories of my heart


Uncle your "Smile" will never fade away from my heart and that is how you will always be remembered.

No comments:

Post a Comment