Sunday, August 26, 2007

Encounter with Innocence

Any one who thinks he/she is smart or intelligent has not tried to answer questions of a two year old.
Well following is the conversation i had with my two year old niece. The airport is nearby and i was showing her airplanes as they were landing and taking off.

Her : What is that?
Me : That is an airplane
Her : Where is it going?
Me : It is going to the airport.
Her : What is an airport?
Me : Airport is a place where airplanes land
Her : Why?
Me : People get into the plane at the airport
Her : Where do people go in the plane?
(Well she is from America and already knows that you have to take a plane to go there, so i thought that is easy to answer )
Me : People go to America in a plane
(That was a blunder, because the next question had me scratching my head)
Her : Why do people go to America?
(After some brain storming i recollected that she has been to America to visit her dad, so i asked)
Me : Why did you go to America?
Her : To see daddy
(I had a feeling of triumph, but it was short lived, she thought for a while and asked)
Her : Are they going to see their daddy s?
(it was a simple Yes or No question and a No would lead me into another labyrinth of questions)
Me : Yes
( I didnt expect the next question but yes there was)
Her : Are all daddies in America?

Well that was when i accepted defeat, because i knew there was no way out of it and tried to change the topic which was another blunder, it started to drizzle slightly...

Me : Did you see these water drops?
Her : yes but where are these water drops coming from?
(I knew where this was going to end but i didnt want to discourage her, so accepting the defeat before hand i proceeded )
Me : These water drops come from clouds in the sky
Her : What are clouds?
( I showed her the moving clouds in the sky and she was happy to see them, i was pleased with myself when the next lightning bolt struck me)
Her : I can't see water in the clouds
(Now if somebody can explain how water evaporates and forms clouds and then comes back in the form of rain and satisfy her i would happily give my paycheck)
Me : No dear, nobody can see water in the clouds but they contain water and when two clouds collide thats when the water falls from those clouds.
Her : How do the clouds collide?
Me : When there is wind the clouds move and collide with each other.
Her : Where is wind?
Me : It is everywhere
Her : I don't see wind
Me : Yes nobody can see the wind
Her : Then how do you know that it is there?
(This time nature came to my rescue and cool breeze passed by)
Me : DId you feel the air blowing?
Her : Yes
Me : Well that is how we know that there is wind..
Her : i like the wind, where is it going?
Me : Enough of knowledge transfer lets go and watch some cartoons
Her : Lets watch Tom and Jerry

That is my most memorable encounter with innocence.

No comments:

Post a Comment