Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Optimist or Pessimist

I have always been a preacher positive thinking, and almost everyone who know me might have got lecture on positive thinking. I have been a positive thinker myself for some time now. So I was under an impression that i was an optimist and everything was going well until i started thinking about the acid test that would separate Optimists from Pessimists.

Everybody knows the test, An Optimist sees the glass as half full and a Pessimist sees the glass as half empty when they are both given half a glass of any liquid. Now I had to face this test to find out which category I belonged.

So i imagined myself sitting in front of half a glass of chilled Milk Shake on a hot summer evening. I was focusing to see how my thought process would be, half full or half empty. I was engulfed with a flood of thoughts which still make me wonder if i am an optimist or pessimist. Well the thoughts were along these lines....

1. Why is the glass only half full ?
2. Was i served only half a glass? If yes, why? Didnt i deserve a full glass?
3. If i was served a full glass, then what the hell happened to the other half?
4. Why am I sitting here and thinking whether the freaking glass is half full or empty, instead of drinking the remaining half before someone finishes whatever is remaining in it?

Now i will never be sure if i am an optimist or pessimist. What about you?

4 comments:

  1. See the glass is half full because you already dranl half of it, so the test begins this way, you WERE given a full glass, of which u drank half of it, now at that time, you look at that glass and r supposed to wonder, if it is half full or half empty. I know i'm a pessimist. Have u decided, what r u ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Life is not mathematics subject and neither positive thinking which is associated with it.Instead of measuring positive thinking in terms of half filled or fully filled glass...I feel its better to do some really good things which lead to a good cause,rather than quoting examples or theorms.I wish you post some good things which would really provocate positive energy in people and help others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @anonymous

    You are right, life is no mathematics and that is exactly what I have conveyed in the post. There is a hint of sarcasm to half full half empty concept and i finished it by saying that i will never know if i am an optimist or pessimist hence proving that these things can't decide if a person is positive or negative. Nice observation but you failed to catch the sarcasm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I understood what you meant..but I wish you post some realistic things which encourage others and previal positive thinking in them.....which in turn make them help others and make the world a better place to live...anyways I really appreciate your poems and the articles you published.But I feel you can do much more better by publishing some real stuff......this is my perception after checking your blog...anyways its really nice to check such a blog of wonderful poems...

    ReplyDelete